A finished front and a chandelier

It’s been a busy and eventful week on the homestead. Monday, I had the day off so I painted the vaulted ceiling. My Mom had painted the shiplap before we put it up, however, we had to spackle the nail holes so it was in need of another coat. This was not a lot of fun as I was constantly painting above my head with a roller and an extender from the second level of staging. I was sure glad to get it done.

Thursday evening, we went to Lowe’s to get some items in preparation for the weekend. I ended up selecting my bathtub. If you’ve been following along, you may remember that I wanted a big soaking tub. I ended up settling for more of a standard tub, but It is a bit deeper than regular tubs. I’m satisfied with it. I also picked out my paint color for the living room area. I went with a tone that resembles a light blue/light green/gray combo. I think I’m going to really like it. I got some bathroom fixtures along with my bathroom tile. I also got my living room chandelier.

Saturday was another all hands-on deck work day with my sister’s family. My Dad really wanted to finish the front of the house while we still had the staging. I was slightly annoyed with this, as I would have rather spent the day working inside. In my mind, the outside is not getting me any closer to moving in. He is the brains of the operation, so we decided to try to complete the front.

Prior to taking the staging down inside, we put the chandelier up. It is a large circular base with five almost like mason jar fixtures with bulbs inside. I really like it and can’t wait to have power inside and be able to turn it on. Once we got the chandelier up, we moved the staging outside.

I don’t like working from the staging, but am not typically freaked out by it. We had to put three levels of staging up to work at the top of the front of the house. It was the first time in the project that we were working from the third level of staging. I did ok, but the worst part was there were all kinds of wasps living up under the eaves that we ended up disturbing. Not what you want to be dealing with when you’re 20 feet above the ground.

My brother-in-law and I began putting the Hardie plank siding up and finished it to the peak. We would send down measurements to my Dad who would cut and send the pieces up. He is not allowed on ladders or staging due to all his mishaps earlier this summer. It worked really well. The longer pieces we had to pass up, but the smaller pieces and all the tools we put in a pail and I’d pull up via a rope.

After we finished the siding, we installed the flashing to the peak. Next, we finished installing the j channel. Finally, we were set to put the soffit in place. Again, Dad cut the pieces and I pulled them up in the pail. Finally, the front of the house was done. I really like the way that it looks!

While my Dad, brother-in-law, Kevin, and I worked outside all day, my mom, sister and nieces worked inside. My Mom primed the shiplap for the living room last week and they spent yesterday painting the edges. Since we are going to have to face nail, spackle and paint once we put it up, we decided not to paint it at all prior to installing. We won’t be able to get to the edges, so they spent the day doing that.

These work days are becoming a fun family tradition. My sister and her family are amazing. I do know that my nieces and nephew enjoy spending the day with their grandparents and the feeling is very mutual. It is something that we are really going to remember for years to come. Each night we all come back to my parents for a Saturday night dinner. Yesterday, my nine-year-old niece made a cake and was so excited for us all to see it. She’s really very talented in things like that. Again, I can’t begin to thank my family enough for all the help. My nieces decided that they want to have an entire slumber party at Laura’s house when I finally move in!


My nephew insists upon helping carry the staging.

A tad hard to see the details of the chandelier.

My nephew watches my sister paint.

My niece helps paint.


Laura Reed

About Laura Reed

After 15 years in college athletics, the last seven as an assistant athletics director, I was burned out with 70-hour work weeks and extensive travel. I resigned my position and accepted a position in marketing at a small, vibrant college in my hometown of Unity, Maine. In the process I wanted to go back to my childhood where we raised polled Herefords, had a Christmas Tree Farm and spent many hours outside. I decided I wanted to build my own home on beautiful farmland that my family owns. With help from my Dad, the most talented person I’ve ever met, we are building my home together. I have decided to blog my experience – the ups and downs, the joys and frustrations. What was once an open field will one day be my home! The dream in my head is becoming reality. I can just see the lambs frolicking in the field, chickens in the barnyard and going running with my Alaskan Malamute!