Up on the house top

IMG_106620161011_165742I am on vacation this week so each and every day is precious in the building process. Each day brings us one day closer to cold and snow, so we are taking full advantage of these gorgeous fall days. Our initial plan was to continue working on the roof on Monday, but that was not to be. The gusts of wind on the third level of staging was making balancing difficult. It was not safe. As much as we want to get it done, safety is the top priority.

We were able to get a few small tasks done and then around noon said it just wasn’t worth continuing. There was one additional place that we had been wanting to check for my elusive window so we headed south to Brunswick. I will save the results for another post but let’s just say that I am pretty pleased with what I found. No picture yet but stay tuned!

Tuesday was a bit of a rough morning for me. Working in athletics for 15 years, I have a great affinity for sports. I think that it would be putting it mildly to say that I love the Chicago Cubs, having been a fan since the late 1980’s. I can probably count on two hands the number of games that I have not listened to this year and it is now the playoffs. (The Cubs have the best record in baseball if you’re not following them). They were playing San Francisco last night in the NLDS and the game did not start until 9:30, went 13 innings and ended at 2:49 AM. And they lost. I drifted in and out of sleep, but a rough morning nonetheless.

We got to the homestead just around 8 and due to the frost, could not start work on the roof right away. We did a few other tasks before we decided to get our project of tackling the roof started. We had boarded up about 4 feet on Saturday, but this is where the hard part starts.

I would encourage looking at the photos as it is difficult to explain. We loaded the boards in the bucket of the tractor. My Dad then lifted the bucket so that it was just above the start of the roof. From there we took the boards and started nailing them on the rafters. The boards needed to be the exact same width the entire length and that was a challenge at times. Having a roof with a 12/12 pitch does not allow you to walk on it.

I typically stood in the bucket and passed the boards to my father, who was working from a 40-foot ladder that can eventually reach near the peak. At one point, I was hoisting the roof boards via a 2×4 up to him. We were staggered so we’d pass the nail gun back and forth so whoever had the best reach could nail the boards.

I’d guess that we have about 60 percent of the roof boards on. To me, this is the scariest part. I am not a huge fan of heights, but have been doing pretty well thus far. We are talking about doing some of the higher points tomorrow from the staging. I will be so glad when the roof is done!

It is so exciting to see this becoming my home step-by-step. It has truly been one of the most amazing experiences of my lifetime. I wouldn’t say it’s without pain however, as nearly every part of my body aches at this point.

Laura Reed

About Laura Reed

After 15 years in college athletics, the last seven as an assistant athletics director, I was burned out with 70-hour work weeks and extensive travel. I resigned my position and accepted a position in marketing at a small, vibrant college in my hometown of Unity, Maine. In the process I wanted to go back to my childhood where we raised polled Herefords, had a Christmas Tree Farm and spent many hours outside. I decided I wanted to build my own home on beautiful farmland that my family owns. With help from my Dad, the most talented person I’ve ever met, we are building my home together. I have decided to blog my experience – the ups and downs, the joys and frustrations. What was once an open field will one day be my home! The dream in my head is becoming reality. I can just see the lambs frolicking in the field, chickens in the barnyard and going running with my Alaskan Malamute!