Progress with interior framing

We continue to make great progress on the house, but have no real milestones to speak of in the last week. I guess the saying is slow and steady wins the race.

Wednesday night could have been the hardest work we have done yet. We were stacking boards that will be used for the roof rafters. They are two inches by 12 inches and are 20 feet long. It was literally all we could do to move them 30 feet to stack them to dry. My Dad figured that they weighed about 175-200 pounds apiece.

My Dad continued to frame on the first floor. My Mom’s cousin, Gene, helped him on Thursday with the framing. He also helped moved some lumber from the mill area of the farm where it was drying to the homestead area. That was a huge help as I continue to work during the days.

I took Friday off from work so that we could get a full day in at the homestead. While my Dad was framing rooms on the first floor, I was continuing to dig my trench around the foundation to put the additional Styrofoam in. I was able to complete it so hopefully I will have a warm foundation.

After all the sawing we have done, we ran out of 2X6 boards, which prevented us from putting one of the exposed ceiling beams up. I was really hoping for that on Friday. Running out of 2X6’s meant taking down another tree to saw up some boards. If you have been following my blog in the past, you know I hate taking down trees. It just scares me so.

Dad thought that this would be an easy tree to take down, but it ended up being anything but. When your father is walking around a tree that is cut but won’t fall, it’s not a comfortable situation. Sparing all the details, we finally used a winch to get the tree down.

Saturday was yard sale day at my old house. When my new house is smaller than my old house, stuff must go. I did not make a lot of money, but did get rid of a lot of large items that I needed to.

Saturday night I went to look at some front doors and found some really nice ones. I have narrowed my choices to about three. Stay tuned to see a photo of the front door in the future!

Laura Reed

About Laura Reed

After 15 years in college athletics, the last seven as an assistant athletics director, I was burned out with 70-hour work weeks and extensive travel. I resigned my position and accepted a position in marketing at a small, vibrant college in my hometown of Unity, Maine. In the process I wanted to go back to my childhood where we raised polled Herefords, had a Christmas Tree Farm and spent many hours outside. I decided I wanted to build my own home on beautiful farmland that my family owns. With help from my Dad, the most talented person I’ve ever met, we are building my home together. I have decided to blog my experience – the ups and downs, the joys and frustrations. What was once an open field will one day be my home! The dream in my head is becoming reality. I can just see the lambs frolicking in the field, chickens in the barnyard and going running with my Alaskan Malamute!