Slab happy

Adding water under the evening sky!

My Dad adding water under the evening sky!

Tonight I can officially say that I am slab happy! After what has been literally months in the making, we finally poured the slab today. I am so incredibly excited to have another milestone behind me and be moving forward.

About nine months ago, I decided that a slab would be easier and more economical than a basement. I honestly believe that I made the right decision. I do wonder where I am going to put all the stuff that is stored in the basement of my current house. I might see a yard sale in my future.

After completing the septic system late last week, we needed the final approval on the plumbing prior to pouring. We got the go ahead on Tuesday and ordered the cement early yesterday for an 8 a.m. delivery this morning. The plastic, wire mesh and insulation were all in place with the form set around it.

My Dad had a crew that was set to assist us. A neighbor near where I am building has a bunch of experience with cement along with all the tools that we needed. A good friend of our family, Lars, also assisted us. Shortly after 8 a.m. the truck arrived, started mixing the cement and then started pouring.

It was quite the experience. After the cement was poured into the form, it was screened to make it flat. Then a float was used to make sure it was smooth before we finished it off with a power trowel. It was really important to keep the slab wet. We put 65 gallons of water on it late this afternoon. Having not drilled a well yet, the water has been a chore.

Tonight after dinner it was another trip to the slab with 65 more gallons of water to wet it down once again. The thing that amazed me was how hot the concrete still was. I was pouring the water while my Dad was spreading it around with a push boom. It was drying as fast as I could put the water down. The slab was still very warm to the touch this evening, 12-hours after being poured.

We will water it down again in the morning, all while hoping for some thundershowers tonight. I am so excited. I debated pitching my tent on the slab tonight. Well, not really although the thought did cross my mind.

In my Dad’s opinion, the hardest part is now done. Tonight I go to sleep one step closer to my house.




Laura Reed

About Laura Reed

After 15 years in college athletics, the last seven as an assistant athletics director, I was burned out with 70-hour work weeks and extensive travel. I resigned my position and accepted a position in marketing at a small, vibrant college in my hometown of Unity, Maine. In the process I wanted to go back to my childhood where we raised polled Herefords, had a Christmas Tree Farm and spent many hours outside. I decided I wanted to build my own home on beautiful farmland that my family owns. With help from my Dad, the most talented person I’ve ever met, we are building my home together. I have decided to blog my experience – the ups and downs, the joys and frustrations. What was once an open field will one day be my home! The dream in my head is becoming reality. I can just see the lambs frolicking in the field, chickens in the barnyard and going running with my Alaskan Malamute!