Wind wreaking havoc


The wind is quickly becoming one of my worst enemies! It seems everything that we try to do, it tries to undo. First, it ripped the tarp off the roof. It has been continuing to tear additional materials off this week.


This past week was another busy one, although I did not get into the action until Saturday due to my work schedule. Tuesday and Wednesday my Dad rented a lift again to try to put the underlayment on the roof in preparation for the metal to be put on. We were hoping to only have the lift a day, but it took two. Tuesday morning was spent doing some miscellaneous tasks up high which included trimming the boards on the overhang, putting a few last boards in place, and putting Tyvek on the ends. My Dad and a pair of his friends started the underlayment just after noon, but were unable to get it done. They were able to finish on Wednesday morning.


My Dad picked up the metal for the roof later in the week. We have made the decision to hire someone to install the metal. With the roof being a 12/12 pitch, it is just too steep. Everything that we don’t do hurts a bit, but I’d much rather hire someone who is experienced than have my Dad on the roof.


We continue to debate if we install the big windows on the end before winter or just board the cutouts over. We had put some Tyvek wrap over the opening and in a couple of days it was torn to pieces and flapping all around. The wind also tore a bit of the ice and water shield off the roof. Today was spent replacing each of those.


We got four pieces of 1 and ½ inch styrofoam to put over the window cutouts. This will make the house a lot more secure than the Tyvek and will give us more time to decide if we want to put the windows in before winter or not. We are kind of holding off putting them in until after the metal goes on the roof so there is no chance of a piece falling and breaking a window.


The wind chill today was not pleasant. I had many layers, including hunter orange as the homestead is in the field near some prime hunting lands. I am looking forward to getting what we need to do outside done so that we can move inside and start working.


I’d be lying if I said that I wasn’t a bit disappointed at this point. I really wanted to be in the house before the end of the year but that is not going to happen. I’m running out of money since I have not been able to sell my house, as of yet. Things just also seem to take much longer than planned.


Having said that, it’s amazing how far we’ve come! As my Mom kept reminding me today, it seems such a short time ago that we began framing. I’d come down after work for a few hours and we only had a few pieces of wood in place. As we drove out today I quipped, “it really is starting to look like a cute little house”.

Laura Reed

About Laura Reed

After 15 years in college athletics, the last seven as an assistant athletics director, I was burned out with 70-hour work weeks and extensive travel. I resigned my position and accepted a position in marketing at a small, vibrant college in my hometown of Unity, Maine. In the process I wanted to go back to my childhood where we raised polled Herefords, had a Christmas Tree Farm and spent many hours outside. I decided I wanted to build my own home on beautiful farmland that my family owns. With help from my Dad, the most talented person I’ve ever met, we are building my home together. I have decided to blog my experience – the ups and downs, the joys and frustrations. What was once an open field will one day be my home! The dream in my head is becoming reality. I can just see the lambs frolicking in the field, chickens in the barnyard and going running with my Alaskan Malamute!